Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Research

This week, I've been doing background reading for my thesis. I discovered an audio book on Audible from The Great Courses, called Great Utopian and Dystopian Works of Literature, led by Dr. Pamela Bedore from the University of Conneticut. This audio book has been an unexpectedly great resources, and it's exciting to be listening to university lectures on my favorite topic. I've also gotten a few new ideas from it-- namely, the short story "The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas" by Ursula K. LeGuin.

I've also been reading Technology and Identity in Young Adult Literature Fiction: The Posthuman Subject by Victoria Flanagan, which adds an interesting (and important) dimension to my research, because I totally disagree with most of her views. She purports that posthumanism can be used to enhance the human subject, which goes directly against my views on the matter. It's funny, because we've read most of the same books, but have come away with completely different impressions. Even so, it's good to see both sides of an issue, and I'm quite interested to hear what she has to say.

I also bought and am waiting to receive four physical copies of books which, prior to now, I've only had PDFs of on my computer.

That's all I have for now, but I'll check in periodically, or if anything interesting comes up!

1 comment:

  1. I am appreciating reading and seeing how the research is shaping and focusing your project, especially for wrestling with the opposing viewpoint on posthumanism. An ever going question, can and how both viewpoints co-exist?

    I'm looking to see too, as you do the close readings o the stories you selected, what approach/method you will use to surface the parts that support your thesis, what will you be looking for in the works as you do the reading.

    And so sadly ironic on the loss this week of Ursula LeGuin.

    Keep on the dystopian train!

    ReplyDelete

I Want Sin: Finding Personhood Amidst Technology in Young Adult Dystopian Literature

I am excited to announce that my thesis, "I Want Sin: Finding Personhood Amidst Technology in Young Adult Dystopian Literature," h...