Thursday, February 8, 2018

Reading

This week, I've been working through How We Became Posthuman by N. Katherine Hayles, which is a key book in the field of posthumanism. Some of it relates to literature but, for the most part, it is a history of society's interest in technologically advanced humanity. I must admit, some of it is very dry, but it is fascinating and I'm happy to be reading the book in the field that all of the other books and articles cite. Next on my reading list is Our Posthuman Future by Francis Fukuyama.

The next portion of my thesis that I hope to knock off is the Lit Review portion-- the sooner the better!

2 comments:

  1. It's a good idea to set up a first draft of your lit review, but I bet more will be added as you dive into the books.

    I'd suggest that you create a timeline to do drafts of the book analysis sections aiming for maybe a first round done by (?? you pick) Spring break, leaving a few weeks to revise and round out the thesis discussion questions.

    Also, if you did not catch tweet, a critical stand on dystopian stories being commercialized? a general history and a few paragraphs at the end on YA titles https://lithub.com/dystopia-for-sale-how-a-commercialized-genre-lost-its-teeth/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took your advice! Today I sat down and wrote the majority of the section on Feed, by M.T. Anderson. You will see it in the shared folder.
      I did not see the tweet but this article is fascinating! I will read through it.

      Delete

I Want Sin: Finding Personhood Amidst Technology in Young Adult Dystopian Literature

I am excited to announce that my thesis, "I Want Sin: Finding Personhood Amidst Technology in Young Adult Dystopian Literature," h...